Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusive Excellence job in HuntingdonShow me jobs like this one
|Employer:|| Juniata College|
The Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusive Excellence is the senior equity, inclusion and diversity officer of the College. The Dean is responsible for strategically shaping, operationalizing, and integrating programs and services that support and enhance the College environment, particularly in support of those who have been historically marginalized or underrepresented. As members of the Juniata community, we are resolute in our work to improve multicultural understanding through a lens of intersectionality. In the past decade, Juniata has increased its MALANA student population by more than 600% and its excellence in internationalizing our campus was recognized by NAFSA’s 2012 Senator Paul Simon Award. Juniata was also the recipient of the 2015 INSIGHT into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award. The Dean supervises a full-time Assistant Director of Diversity and Inclusion, whose responsibilities are shared with Student Life, and a half-time administrative support staff member.
The Dean represents the growing importance and influence of equity and inclusive excellence in every aspect of the College’s operations. Historically, the position has been a special assistant reporting directly to the President with broad responsibility for creating programming and educational experiences through the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, as well as through partnerships with other campus constituents. Moving forward, the Dean will serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), a team chaired by the President and responsible for strategic and operational decisions that propel the mission of the College. With shared direct supervision from the Provost and Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, the Dean will be aligned with resources and personnel essential to the achievement of goals and outcomes related to institutional equity and inclusive excellence. The influence of the Dean will extend beyond primary spheres of curricular and co-curricular life to all aspects of the institution, including enrollment, advancement and marketing, and business and operations, including guidance and affirmation of equity practices in Human Resources.
Considered one of the Colleges That Change Lives, Juniata was founded by members of the Church of the Brethren, and Brethren values of peace, community, simplicity, and service continue to anchor and animate institutional culture. The College is in a period of significant changes in its leadership. The Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusive Excellence will join a cohesive and energetic Senior Leadership Team led by James A. Troha, who became president in 2013. Since President Troha’s arrival, new leaders in the roles of Provost, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students, Vice President for Enrollment, and Vice President for Finance and Operations have been appointed. New members of the Strategic Leadership Team are balanced by a Chief Information Officer and a Vice President for Advancement and Marketing who have provided consistent leadership for the past decade.
Qualifications and Characteristics The Dean of Institutional Equity and Inclusive Excellence will be a bold, creative and energetic leader with a student-centered record of progressive leadership. Qualified candidates will hold a master’s degree and a record of increasing authority and responsibility. Other key qualifications and characteristics include:
1. Experience in diversity infrastructures with a steadfast commitment to equity, justice, and inclusion
2. Successful track record of leading projects in a multi-stakeholder environment as an innovative and inspirational change agent
3. Advanced interpersonal and intercultural communication skills; peace and conflict negotiation skills; a keen sense of diplomacy, confidentiality, and tact. Capacity to build consensus and to support and reconcile competing interests while promoting equitable solutions to difficult problems
4. Ability to effectively and creatively solve problems and lead others through transactional and transformational learning and through change
5. Knowledge of and experience implementing successful recruitment and retention strategies for traditionally underrepresented populations
6. Ability to collaborate and work creatively within a team/community environment
7. Visionary leadership with proven ability for strategic planning, campus programming, and community development to accentuate evidence-based best practices related to equity, justice, inclusion, and cross-cultural competencies
8. Ability to facilitate presentations and address large campus and community audiences; teaching experience at the collegiate level is valued
A full profile of this position can be found at: http://www.juniata.edu/offices/human-resources/prospective-employee/Dean-of-Institutional-Equity.pdf.
Co-Chairs of the search committee are Matthew Damschroder (he/him/his), Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students and Cy Merriwether-DeVries (she/her/hers), Associate Professor of Sociology. Questions and inquiries related to the search can be directed to email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin the week of February 24, 2017; it is expected that an appointment will be made in April with an anticipated start date of June 1, 2017.
Creatively, ethically, and intrinsically committed to community-based, whole-person education, Juniata College seeks applications from diverse candidates who support diversity. That is why we hope you apply today.
It is the policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks. Application materials can be submitted at http://www.juniata.edu/jobs.